Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inspiration

I recently was awarded a very exciting commission through the Arts and Science Council here in Charlotte as an artist in residence at my neighborhood high school. I'll specifically share more about the actual project in the near future. Today I start my residency with a large presentation that includes talking about my work, which got me deliberately thinking about what inspires me. While I've definitely thought about this before (almost everyday), especially when writing an artist statement, I've never really compiled images. I also realized that there are a LOT of things that are inspirational to me. Here are a few:

Patterns in fabrics:Quilts (not my cat, neccessarily):Construction:Oribe pots:Repetition and pattern in nature:
Gathering of friends and family:

And, of course, obnoxiously decorated funfetti cake:

5 comments:

Ron said...

That's fun Amy. Hope your talk went well.

Jen Mecca said...

Amy..congrads! I can't wait to hear more about it. I'm so happy for you. Now did you make that cake just for yourself and the celebrations?
Your a star!Jen

Judi Tavill said...

when are you due?
i follow the blog and i am waiting to see some crazy post about the baby!

amy said...

Judi-
I'm due on June 15th, which means that I'm 32 weeks along. While we're super excited about the baby coming, hopefully there won't be too crazy of a posting quite yet!

Mama V said...

Very cool.