After a doctor's appointment this morning, I spent much of today in the studio catching up on pieces that I had left unfinished over the weekend. Brian and I had travelled home to Ohio for a long weekend, spending time with family and friends. It was a great visit- busy as usual when we go home. More on that later...
One of my main tasks today was finishing up several sets of canisters that are for a gallery order. These guys are thrown, stamped, and then get a handbuilt lid. I really enjoy making these pots because even though they have many steps to completion, I like making all the parts work well together. Below is a little snapshot of how to make the lid:
-dust the rim with corn starch so the lid doesn't stick
-cut out a small circular slab to fit inside the galley and pooch down with a sock filled with sand
-once the bottom slab has set up a bit, cut a larger circle out, with a pie-piece cut out
-score and overlap cutout and attach to bottom piece
-create some kind of knob, score and attach
Close up of a finished lid:
Finished canister sets:I also finished up some teapots and started some more small serving pieces with earthenware. It felt good to have a nice, productive day in the studio. I'm becoming more and more aware of my changing pregnant body- I have to take more breaks and stretch or I start to ache! I should probably be doing that anyway.