These were a set of bowls that I had made just before taking a break from the studio to take care of Guthrie. They had a little bit of crawling in the glaze, so I thought I'd just stick them back in the kiln this week when I fired the little birdhouses we had made. Well, evidently the bowl didn't feel like being that hot again and protested by cracking, bloating and pinholing! Sheesh. If I had known that beforehand, I would've just left the little crawl spots and used it in my own kitchen.
I certainly need to figure out what's going on with this- I've refired some of these pieces in the past without problem, but on a few occasions this has happened. A normal firing schedule and temperature was used and the crack was on a side that was not near the elements.