I've been able to get in the studio in small bits of time in the past couple of weeks- ususally in short stints of 1 to 2 hours at a time. The Circle of Eight has our fall sale here in four weeks, so I'm really trying to get enough work done to have decent representation at that show. It's funny, though, rather than making many of the forms of which I'm very familiar, I'm finding myself wanting to try to make new pieces (and doing just that). It's not that this is a completely bad idea, but I'm definitely not at my most efficient self while experimenting, and not sure if this is the best time.
Here are a few new smaller pitchers I was working on. Looking at this photo, the 2nd and fourth seem the most successful. That handle on the 3rd pitcher- ugh, gotta go (it's probably too late to add a new one, I think they're dry by now).
Here are a few new simple vase forms and some wide bowls. Once again, I'm still working on resolving these and have several more of the bowls under plastic, ready to decorate.
These are some funky vase forms half done. I need to do some sketching to figure out what I'm going to do with the top. It may end up completely closed with small holes or have an additional top. Who knows? I'll try to remember to post a picture of these when finished.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Last Saturday I had a little chunk of time in the studio (about and hour and a half) to try to get into the swing of things. It felt good to get back in there, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time creating yet. Mostly, the studio got tidied up and I killed (ok, admittedly I trapped and Brian killed) the biggest cockroach I've ever seen. I did get a couple of serving bowls started and hope to finish them today. The hardest part for me right now is not getting ahead of myself- meaning, I don't want to get over-motivated and start all sorts of pieces, only to have them dry too quickly because I can't get in there as often and as long as before.
We're having our 3rd annual Circle of Eight fall sale here in September, so that'll give me a deadline toward which to work. Yesterday Ron and I worked on the postcard and press release for the sale. It was good to work together to come up with what hopefully turned out to be a good design. The group is really trying to step up our exposure this time around, which is why we decided to do a press release. Maybe we'll get a little mention in a couple of publications around town.